By now I'm sure that most of you know by our posts on Facebook, and phone calls and text messages, that Drew and I are moving to Seattle! What a crazy day this has been. We're both exhausted but extremely excited. You wouldn't think that something like this would be so stressful, but it was the most stressful day that Drew and I have encountered together but we survived and probably are a stronger couple because of it. So today's blog is a more detailed account of what actually happened in the few hours leading up to the draw, what was happening during and after we found out where we're headed.
I got off work at 9pm last night and headed home. I was very thankful that one, we were busy enough to help keep my mind off the draw but able to talk about my concerns in between (thank you to my wonderful co-workers and friends for helping me stay calm!) and two, that the roads were mostly clear so I could get home safely. I got home at about 10:45 and of course Drew and I were talking immediately about different scenarios and outcomes etc. etc. I know that I was stressed about it, but I can't even imagine what else was going on in Drew's head that he wasn't telling me. We both tried to do our best to keep each other calm but in a situation of literally not knowing where you're going to be living in about three and a half months is very nerve wracking and was causing a lot of anxiety in our house. The decision I had to make was if I was going to stay home or wait outside his classroom and couldn't decide where I was going to be less of a mess. But ultimately I made the decision to go and wait for him which was the best.
We finally got to bed around 12:30 and of course Drew was asleep within a few minutes but not me. After a few episodes of Grey's, I was finally able to get my mind focused enough on the show instead of what was going to happen in the morning and dozed off around 3am. It wasn't peaceful either. I woke up a few times between then and ore alarm going off at 6:45 and so did Drew. We got ready and were out the door by 7:30 and headed up to the school.
By the time we got there most of his other classmates were already there and a lot of the other spouses/fiances/boyfriends/girlfriends were there as well (along with other students from different programs to find out the outcome) so at least I wasn't going to be sitting outside the classroom alone. His teachers showed up shortly after and the students began filing in the classroom. With a quick good luck kiss I found myself sitting and waiting.
One of Drew's classmates ended up calling her husband waiting outside and he turned on his speaker phone so we could try and hear what was going on. Technically, this isn't allowed but it gave us a little comfort. The reception quality wasn't that great and it was hard to hear over everyone talking but it was something.
The first site that was drawn was Peoria, Illinois. At first it didn't look like anyone was going to put in for it but than Arnold decided that he would go ahead and just take it. Then the Bellevue site was drawn, Drew put his name in along with 6 other people and his classmate Ashley, who's husband's phone we were listening through, got it. Next was Washington University, which again Drew put in for along with 6 people (remember, that's almost half his class) and luckily his name was drawn. When I was listening, I swore that I heard Drew's name announced but no one else heard it and kept asking each other if they heard so I didn't want to jinx myself and say it was Drew just in case it wasn't. Next Florida and Cleveland were drawn and no one put in for them so they were placed aside as an open site so anyone at anytime during the rest of the draw could take those sites. And so on and so on... Baltimore, Davis, Vermont, Salt Lake, Boise.... all came and went and I still didn't have an answer as to where we were going.
Then the phone call was dropped and it was all over. Then they started filing out of the room. Drew was first out and came over and just handed me his card with all his site information on it. And it was confirmed of what I had been hoping for over 20 minutes (and the last few months)..... University of Washington! All of the stress and anxiety went away. But, with joy came disappointment. Two of Drew's classmates unfortunately are headed to Florida and Baltimore, neither of them being in their top 5, and are obviously upset. It was hard to contain my excitement and relief but I couldn't help it either. That could have easily been us.
The rest of the day was dedicated to a celebratory breakfast with his teachers and classmates and then our normal routine. Grocery shopping, laundry, and preparing for our snowboard trip tomorrow. Then a much needed nap and some quality time with the dogs. Even they are excited today. They don't know why, they just know that mom and dad are happy, so they are happy.
So, the next couple of months are going to be dedicated to getting to know the Seattle area from here, looking for places that we are going to want to live, and eventually going to visit sometime in April and june to look around and go visit the medical center that he will be working at (and maybe even touring a veterinary hospital that I can potentially have a job at!).
Again, Drew and I want to express how much we appreciate all of you keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. We feel very blessed and are extremely excited! We will keep all of you updated as our move progresses. Thank you!
So excited for you and Drew!!!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteB
how exciting. I'm glad you got one of your top choices.
ReplyDelete~Lisa Buwalda
Krysten, I love that you have decided to post a Blog, It has helped me to understand more clearly what you and Drew are going through on your Journey!
ReplyDeleteI am Very excited for the both of you and may God be with you on your wonderful journey!!!
I Love You!!
Karen