I'm going to explain exactly how this works for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about. There are about 18 people in Drew's class for vascular. Each of these students are sent somewhere in the US for their senior year to get hands on experience and training so when they graduate and start work they already have a year of experience. On the day they draw, all the students have their top 5 sites selected (in reality this doesn't really matter but the teachers try to make sure the students get one of their top 5 sites). The professors have two separate hats (literally). One with the sites and one for the students to put their names in. The professors start by drawing one site. Then, whoever wants to go to that site, the student put their name in the other hat, the professors pull out a name, and whoever's name is drawn they go to that site. They continue until everyone has a site. Then, if the students want to, they are able to trade up until 48 hours.
Our top 5 sites are:
Seattle, Washington (1 site at Washington University, another in Seattle, and 1 in Bellevue)Portland, Oregon
Springfield, Oregon
Boise, Idaho
Reno, Nevada
Other sites include:
Peoria, IllinoisSacramento, California (Davis)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hersey, Pennsylvania
Cleveland, Ohio
Burlington, Vermont
Venice, Florida
Baltimore, Maryland
And Oakland, California (Ew.)
Unfortunately, changes in extern sites happen every year. Both hospitals in Medford host students, but not this year (we are very disappointed by this). Cedar Sinai and OSHU also usually take students but have decided against it. And too bad Hawaii is never an "official" site (you have to prove you can live there without going into major debt) cause that would be awesome!
Anyway, since there are more than one spot available in the Seattle area we are very hopeful that we will get one. Our reasoning behind Seattle is that not only have I always wanted to live there, but one of the doctors I currently work for has another emergency and specialty hospital in the area. There are also several other emergency hospitals in the area so (crossing my fingers) it will be less of a process for me to find a job. During this year, Drew is most likely not going to be able to work so for me to be able to find a job (most likely two jobs) is extremely important. Also, its somewhat close to home.
So, please, please, please send prayers, good thoughts and finger crosses our way that we are able to either go to Seattle or stay in Oregon!
love the blog!
ReplyDelete~Lisa Buwalda
I wish the best to both of you! I'll sure miss you at work, even though I don't get to work with you, ever!!! Seattle would be a cool place to go for a while. Although, Florida would have been a great change of pace ;) At least you'll get out of Klamath!!!
ReplyDeleteand as I said before if Seattle doesn't work out, stick with the chocolate factory destination!
Good luck with a pick close to home, Or , Wash. One thing I remember about Washington is a hell of a lot of rain and I mean a lot !!!
ReplyDeleteUncle Mike
Just a 'lil nerve racking...but kind of exciting! I Love You Both, Mom
ReplyDeleteI am not anonymous! I like your blog...it's pretty. I also didn't know a hat was involved...very Harry Potteresk. Nice to know. FroYo will be happening no matter what on Monday...I can't skip lab but I will be there. :)
ReplyDelete