Monday, April 23, 2012

Closing this Chapter

Well, we're officially only about 54 days away from Drew's graduation and only a few short weeks away from him finishing his externship at U Dub (June 6th is his last day). This last weekend was the first anniversary of the trip we made to visit the area before we moved. And I still can't believe that we're about to close this chapter of our lives and start a new one. This last year has been challenging but at the same time exciting and a learning experience for both of us, separately and as a couple.

I really wish that I would have kept up on the blog like I wanted to but honestly nothing too interesting happened. We just continued our lives as we had, Drew still in school and me working, just in a new place. I have a feeling (and I hope) that once Drew is graduated we'll have more opportunity to be a little more adventurous that will fill this blog with interesting and humorous reads.

For now, we're going to be in a precarious waiting game over the next month and a half. We still don't have any idea where Drew will be working after graduation. There are a couple of spots in the area for vascular techs, but most are either part time, temp or on call positions. We've been looking at online job postings and the majority of jobs are in the south or east coast. We're interested also in the Portland and Reno areas and have heard about a possible opening in central California (a couple of our friends in the field are letting us know about openings which we appreciate) but ultimately we very much want to stay in Seattle. No news of a spot opening for him at U Dub but his co-workers have been extremely generous in helping Drew prepare his resume and writing him reference letters.

What really sucks (for lack of a better word) is that I'm finally starting to feel a little more settled. I'm starting to like work again and am remembering why I got into my field in the first place. There have been challenging days, as always in the field of ER and speciality practice, but I haven't gone home crying or screaming yet so that's an improvement. The environment at my last place of employment has only gotten worse so I am feeling better and better about no longer being employed there. And I'm feeling more like myself at work, but still not quite opening myself up as much as I used to, and I probably never will again. And not only that but I feel I have a lot of opportunity in Seattle to pursue something else (which I am still debating) if I want to.

So the prospect of moving again is not appealing. I'm getting exhausted just thinking about it. But ultimately if Drew gets a job out of the area then off we go. I know he really wants to stay here too, and particularly at U Dub, so its not just me. We've become accustom to the gray and the rain (I actually am in love with the weather) and we soak up the sun as often as it shows up regardless if its warm or not.  So keep all fingers and toes crossed for us that this next chapter will also begin in Seattle.

Regardless of what happens, I will always be grateful to Seattle and what brought us here. Whether or not we'll be official Washingtonians we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. I will be so sad if you have to leave Seattle because I know how much you both love it here. I will also miss you horribly!!! I trust God knows best where you should go and that as long as you are together you will be happy. I Love You! Mom

    ReplyDelete