Saturday, November 5, 2011

6 Month Blog Hiatus

     Hello to all our previous blog followers!
     My deepest apologies for not keeping this updated as I initially intended, or said I was going to. What a whirlwind 6 months it has been since I last wrote. I still can't believe that we've been in Seattle for 5 months. It has gone by quickly, but slowly at the same time. Does that make sense?
     Well, for those of you who have been kind of keeping up with us on what had been going on since the move (via Facebook, phone calls, e-mails, word of mouth, short visits, etc.) this will be a little more in-depth but not too much cause I don't want to completely bore you.
     So, the actual move Memorial Day weekend was pretty uneventful. Drew's mom Karen came with us and helped us with the drive and the unloading in our new apartment. No break downs on the highway or issues with the moving truck (except taking the truck to budget while a soccer game was getting out downtown. That was an adventure). Our only issue (major at the time but minor in hindsight) was with the apartment. As you saw in a previous blog about our trip here in April, we secured an apartment but didn't have much time getting to know our manager (though she was extremely helpful) or the property management. So long story short the apartment hadn't been cleaned (annoying but minor). The real problem we had was we heard from another tenant that there was a problem with the property management not paying the utilities that were included in the price of rent and that the city was going to evict all tenants because we can't live somewhere that doesn't have running water. Eventually after about a week of calling the property management, e-mailing our now previous manager (she moved to another complex and had no info of who to contact), etc. etc. I finally called the city to figure out what was going on. They told me that the apartment account was up to date and there were no problems. So why the property management couldn't just tell me that I still have no idea. So no other problems thus far and we currently have a great manger that has been very proactive and has done a lot with the grounds of the complex and is easy to get ahold of.
     For the first 3 1/2 weeks I was here by myself. Drew still had a couple more weeks of school including finals so he was in Klamath and then went to Chico for a little over a week to take some things we couldn't bring with was (his truck, his tools and a few other larger items) to store at his dad's. And also to hang out. Yup, while I was here dealing with the apartment and unpacking and starting a new job he got to mess around. Fair right? I don't think so either. Lucky for him he got here a day before my birthday. ;o)
     One of the great things about us moving here was that I have family friends in the area who took some time to help me paint, unpack, and show me around which I was extremely thankful for. I was in a new city all alone and having familiar faces around was wonderful. I still can't thank Jo, Kandi and the Hannah family enough. And my mom recently moved to the area so that's been nice having her close, though we don't get to spend a lot of time together due to work schedules and life.
     Work for me has been somewhat of a challenge. I started working at AMCS right as they were in the beginning of a transition period (and it still is) which has been stressful. The atmosphere and structure is a lot different than what I'm used to and what I was expecting (I knew it wasn't going to be the same but I wasn't expecting to have this much issue getting adjusted). Things have slowly been getting better and having Adam there every so often (as well as other SOVSC faces here and there) has been a comfort.
     Drew is doing great at U Dub Med Center. Which is good since this is the whole reason why we are up here. He and his extern director Kari get along great (as he does with the other techs he works with) and he's doing well with all the exams he does. He's still learning but the quality of his work I'm told is excellent. We're still crossing our fingers that he'll be hired after graduation which would be amazing. The prospect of having to move again next year is daunting but we'll go wherever he gets a job.
     Which brings me to Seattle itself. We love it here! We love the city (except traffic. I HATE the traffic. And Seattle/Washington drivers are terrible, worst ever!) and all the surrounding areas. There is so much to do and explore and taste. Neither of us has ever lived in a big city before but one of the great things about Seattle is that it doesn't have a big city feel. For those of you who haven't spent much time in the area, Seattle is separated into neighborhoods and each of these neighborhoods has their own community center, atmosphere, and unique qualities. We currently live on the edge of Queen Anne (for those Grey's anatomy fans the area that Meredith lives. We live less than 2 miles from the house they use for screen shots. I have yet to go there but it is on my list of things to do) and Ballard. A lot of people call this area Interbay though you won't necessarily see it called that on a map. We live fairly close to Pike's Market and the rest of the downtown area and we can see the marina of the famous Fisherman's Terminal (for those Deadliest Catch fans where the Northwestern and Wizard dock) from our balcony. There was an adjustment period coming from Klamath to here but we're adjusting quite well. I guess the biggest thing I miss most about Oregon is the snow this time of year and of course all my great friends I left behind.
     So, that's 6 months in a nutshell.
     Drew and I have a few things planned over the next month so hopefully this will help me keep up with the blog. Now that we're more settled and that my schedule is becoming slightly more structured I'll have more time to write.
     Thank you again to all our family and friends that have kept us in your thoughts and prayers during this little adventure of ours. We appreciate it more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment